MINISTRY OF FINANCE
(Department of Revenue)
(CENTRAL BOARD OF DIRECT TAXES)
New Delhi, the 18th September, 2018
S.O. 4885(E).—It is hereby notified for general information that the organization M/s Indian Council of Medical Research (PAN:- AAEAT4818Q) has been approved by the Central Government for the purpose of clause (ii) of sub-section (1) of section 35 of the Income-tax Act, 1961 (said Act), read with Rules 5C and 5E of the Income-tax Rules, 1962 (said Rules), from Assessment year 2019-2020 and onwards under the category of “Other Institution” engaged in research activities subject to the following conditions, namely:-
- The sums paid to the approved organization i.e. M/s Indian Council of Medical Research shall be utilized for scientific research. The Grants/Donations for undertaking scientific research which are extended to Non-ICMR Institutes by the approved organization shall not be eligible for benefit under section 35(1)(ii) of the said Act. However, any collaborative research activity carried out by an ICMR-institute by utilizing the Grants/Donations received by the approved organization shall not be covered under the said exclusion.
- The approved organization shall carry out scientific research through its faculty members or its enrolled
- The approved organization shall maintain separate books of accounts in respect of the sums received by it
for scientific research, reflect therein the amounts used for carrying out research, get such books audited by an accountant as defined in the explanation to sub-section (2) of section 288 of the said Act and furnish the report of such audit duly signed and verified by such accountant to the Commissioner of Income-tax or the Director of Income-tax having jurisdiction over the case, by the due date of furnishing the return of income under sub-section (1) of section 139 of the said Act;
- The approved organization shall maintain a separate statement of donations received and amounts applied for scientific research and a copy of such statement duly certified by the auditor shall accompany the report of audit referred to above.
¹Hkkx IIµ[k.M 3(ii)º Hkkjr dk jkti=k % vlk/kj.k 3
The Central Government shall withdraw the approval if the approved organization:-
- fails to maintain separate books of accounts referred to in sub-paragraph (iii) of paragraph 1; or
- fails to furnish its audit report referred to in sub-paragraph (iii) of paragraph 1; or
- fails to furnish its statement of the donations received and sums applied for scientific research referred to in sub-paragraph (iv) of paragraph 1; or
- ceases to carry on its research activities or its research activities are not found to be genuine; or
(d) ceases to conform to and comply with the provisions of clause (ii) of sub-section (1) of section 35 of the said Act read with rules 5C and 5E of the said Rules.
RAJARAJESWARI R., Under Secy.